Thursday, April 10, 2008

Melty


I sorta got this idea from a recent Martha Stewart crafts for kids book. I say sorta because I actually made a very similar project as a kid with my Nan. We were pretty poor and recycling was a necessity, no crayon nubs were ever tossed.

I hate to admit that I used mostly new crayons, but I did. I just so happened to pick up a jumbo box of cheapo colors for a buck, and thought why not. Unfortunately the cheapo crayons were made with an inferior wax, and all the pigment sank to the bottom of the mold. The back side is much lighter, mostly wax, and really doesn't draw at all. The few that we made with Rose Art and Crayola worked beautifully. Oh, and the 'washable' crayons didn't set up right, they were kinda crumbly.

We still had loads of fun and frustration peeling the wrappers off, and later vacuuming up the little shards of paper and wax bits. And what smells better than melted crayons?

No comments: