Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Perspectives

We took the C monster to the zoo a few days ago, and I must admit that it was not what I was expecting. I remember the few trips I made to the zoo as a child to be overflowing with fun, education, excitement, and joy.

Not so much. I was fighting back tears the entire day. How traumatic would that be for a toddler? Your first visit to the zoo and your mom constantly bawls her eyes out. Poor Chloe, her mother is often a bowl of mush.
This is Alice, a thirty-something year old elephant. I know that she is treated well, but she just looked so sad. Her handlers were making her do tricks for treats, and all the kids loved it. I couldn't get past the bored look in her eyes. I have a lot of respect for elephants, they are very intelligent with complex social structures and behaviours. That last picture pretty much sums up the vibe I got from the animals. I think future trips to the zoo will be reserved for the grandparents, or until I can turn off that throat lump mechanism.

The flamingos were by far my favorite. Their exhibit was pretty much cage free.

And of course the bean had a blast.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura! Love the flamingo pic. Sorry the animals made you sad - I totally agree. Hope you are doing well. Suzanne

Linnea said...

I have a hard time with the zoo also. The kids love it though but we rarely go. We do go to the aquariums where I don't get as upset, fish can't look as depressed for some reason.